It doesn’t take much to make me happy.
1. Hitting green lights all the way across town I feel as if the universe opens up and escorts me from point A to point B.
2. Big dollops of soft caramel in my ice cream.
3. The smell of fresh laundered cotton fabric softener…so much so I dreamed about falling in love with a man who was in the middle of conducting an art heist
just because he smelled good.
4. When my students come up with a literature link or interpretation I haven’t thought of myself. Their “Ah Ha” moments are what get me out of bed every morning at 5 bloody 20 am.
5. When my favourite author publishes a new novel and it’s over 500 pages long! I know I’ll be pleasantly occupied for days and days (or nights and nights if it’s REALLY good!)
6. When I roll over and find that perfectly comfy spot in my bed and I know I can stay put there for at least a couple more hours.
7. When words fall trippingly off my tongue. And I’ve got 34 pairs of eyes looking at me and really, REALLY listening…especially if it’s about Shakespeare.
8. Getting a letter in the mail. The REAL, tangible, no-where-near-virtual mail. The fact that someone has taken the time to sit and compose a letter AND to find stationary, an envelope and the appropriate postage is pretty darn special in this day and age.
9. When my mother bakes me little loaves of molasses bread.
10. When the line up at the car wash IS long. So that I HAVE to sit for half an hour and read the book in my purse.
And we’re only one day into the week and look at what treasures I’ve found!
I hope you find little nuggets of happiness this week.